Friday 9 October 2009

No thanks, I've seen enough


That's what I thought as I left the Central station after wandering in a circle in the "shopping" passages above the tracks. In front of me the Palace of Culture and Science, a remnant of the comnunist era, - which is worth a visit - behind me the "modern" - I'd rather say ugly - Warzawa Centralna and all around us the mix of old, half-demolished apartment buildings and huge advertisment boards, telling you about the latest offer at the Yellow M-shop.
I immediately made my way back to the station to head for Poznan. However, I wanted to give Warsaw a chance so I sat down in an internet cafe in one of the shopping passages to look for things to see in Warsaw. I previously had no luck with finding a host in Warsaw on couchsurfing, but I then received an answer from a girl I had asked and she offered me a place to stay. So I decided to stay for the night. I first went to see the old city before meeting up with my host. She showed me around a bit before we went to a hostel bar to chill. There we met a nice Swedish guy with whom we strolled around a bit more.
There's not much more to say really: Even though my host showed me some nicer parts of the city I still think it's a shithole...

No comments: